St. Mary’s Cathedral School, the oldest private school in Amarillo, was first established January 16, 1899,
in Clarendon, Texas by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.
The school was moved to its present location in Amarillo in 1913. Through these 100+ years, St. Mary’s has maintained its high standards with a strong academic program. Besides the excellent basic curriculum, other areas offered include state-of-the-art computer education, introductory Spanish classes for grades 1-5, a well-stocked library and a variety of extra-curricular opportunities.
A Montessori Preschool was added in the Fall of 1985. St. Mary’s Montessori respects the child as an individual and therefore provides a method for guiding growth which fits the child’s individual needs. An after school program was established in 1986.
School accreditation is the means used by the Texas Catholic Schools to foster excellence in elementary education. St. Mary's Cathedral School, accredited since 1926, continues to follow the policies and procedures compiled by the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department (TCCED) and the Texas Catholic Conference Accreditation Commission (TCCAC) and recognized by Texas Education Association (TEA).